Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cynicism is a justifiable response to Arrogance


My response to Brandon Easton's Podcast:
http://writingforrookies.podcastpeople.com/posts/51505

It is a 45 minute podcast but in those 45 minutes what you have described is an unmet customer need.  Without knowing your specific point of reference, I would say that the Geeks do have a point.  My collaborator Cody Garcia would whine about this all the time Hollywood is dead and it does not have any new ideas.  I will go one further Hollywood sucks.  Culturally it fell off and it has this cognitive dissonance with the fan public it serves,  Certainly you can see that.

I grew up a fan boy loving mostly Marvel and DC.  But I don't go and see the movies anymore.  I don't buy the books.  I have moved on with my life and I don't agree with the direction they have taken.  I am a lot older than the Gen Ys but they are saying the same thing and maybe it is because you never want to hear someone whine, but as a manager when someone whines I listen because there is a business opportunity there.  

The Industry is set up to take 100 million risks.  If Scott Pilgrim was made for $ 15 million rather than $ 90 million, people would be singing a different tune.  Not everything must be a 100 million.  You mock the self loathing cynicism of man-children, but number 1, we were that age once and number 2, the cynicism is justified when you have the arrogance of the writer's staff from Buffy the Vampire Slayer that is running Hollywood.  

The industry is there to serve the customer not the other way around.  Customers always have an opinions and  believe things some of which is based on nothing.  But come on be real.  You grew up in the 80s.  One episode of the A-team is better than half the stuff in the movie theater nowadays.  You don't have to be an insider to know that the material that is coming out of Hollywood sucks and the execs are risk averse weenies.

If I am off base, name names.  Thoughts?

James A. Bretney
Tucson, Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment